Known as the 'Cow Castle' by Miss Staithes who lived in Battlefield House from early in the 1900s.
It occupies a commanding position of the valley. Geophysics
shows it to have been built on an earlier foundation. The shape is unusual and does not seem to relate to any function: it may be emblematic.
The aerial photos were taken in 1946 and show the original roof before its removal and replacement with a flat roof in the 1980s.Resistivity
shows a water pipe leading into the enclosure from a spring in the opposite direction to the pond behind.
Any ideas will be gratefully received.