Stacks Image 12
Thomas Robins the Elder sketched Mr. Peirce's Hermitage in 1760. It no longer exists (Gordon Campbell), but the site has been identified (Cathryn Spence) and partially excavated by BACAS in 2016.

It was visited and sketched by Lady Sophia Newdigate in 1748. Her diary of the day records; 'On the 6th we left Bath and on our way over Lansdown called at Mr. Peirce's, a house so small it is scarce worth the name of one; built of stone in an elegant taste, placed on a beautiful green …… and called Lilliput. The gardens are small but prettily disposed and in them is a very pretty hermitage.'